So I’ve been posting daily pictures for a while now. A picture is worth a thousand words, right? But there are some things that just can’t be conveyed via pictures – smells, sounds, etc. I was just thinking about all the various sounds that make up my day here and how I could share them with you. Now, the best way would probably be to get out a digital audio recorder and then post all the audio clips here. But unfortunately I am not sure how long that would take and you would probably get tired of listening to them anyway (maybe I will try it later when I can actually find our little digital recorder!) so I will try to describe some here for you.
Here are some of the various sounds that make up my day/night here in Wamena:
– Airplanes taking off and landing. Beginning at about 5:45 am or even earlier sometimes. Sometimes directly over our house.
– The call to prayer 5 times a day from the various m*sques around us. Some days are louder than others, usually Fridays.
– Cars, trucks, and motorcycles going by on the road behind our house. All hours of the day and night.
– People whooping and hollering in the back of trucks going by on the road behind our house. All hours of the day and night.
– What sounds like a clanging metal gong announcing the hour of the day or meal times or other significant events at the prison behind the base.
– The revving of a chainsaw. There is a lot of construction going on right behind our house.
– The meowing (daytime) or yowling (nighttime) of our needy cat Leo. He is an outside cat and evidently needs much more attention than we are able to give him.
– The pitter patter of little feet running up and down our hallway.
– The sounds of SpongeBob, Dora, Powerpuff Girls, etc on our TV.
– “All have sinned…”, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved…”, “Fear not for I have redeemed you…” – the sweet voice of Natalie singing the Bible verse songs she has learned in homeschooling and loves to sing all day long.
– Music and/or preaching over loudspeakers nearby. Any hour of the day or night.
– The sound of the blender whirring, blending a lunchtime smoothie or an iced coffee for my afternoon caffeine fix.
– The sound of my Bosch mixer kneading bread dough – a few times a week.
– “Meow, meow” – our other cat, Claire. “Mommy, I’m not Claire. I’m a kitty!”
– And yes, the whining, arguing, fussing, and other sounds that all children make. Our girls aren’t perfect!
And some sounds that you might have at your house but that are absent at ours – the swish of a dishwasher, the tumbling clothes in the dryer, and the whoosh of a vacuum cleaner. We have no dishwasher here, but thankfully I have a house helper who helps me with my dishes – we have a lot because I cook everything from scratch! We don’t have a vacuum cleaner because we have tile floors and only a few area rugs. We do have a clothes dryer but only use it when it’s rainy all day and the clothes won’t dry on the line.
So, that is another little glimpse into our life here. 🙂